Yes, Guinea pigs can eat plums as it is an excellent source of different vitamins and minerals. Plum is safe for our guinea pigs if given in a moderate amount.
But it also contains a good amount of sugar, which is unhealthy for our guinea pigs if given in excess. So we must only serve a small number of plums to our guinea pigs.
Do Guinea pigs like to eat plums?
They do! Guinea pigs love anything that is sweet.
How to feed plums for our guinea pigs?
There are a few steps we should consider before feeding plum for your guinea pigs-
- Pick fresh plums for your guinea pig and wash it properly to clean all the surface dirt must make sure that the plums are clean.
- Remove the plum’s pit, as it contains cyanide and can cause the guinea pig to choke.
- The skin of the plum should be kept on as most of the antioxidants are present in the skin.
- It would be better if you cut the plums into small pieces so that our guinea pigs don’t face any problems while having them.
- And last, don’t forget to remove the leftovers.
Cautions to take before feeding Guinea pig plums
If you want to feed your guinea pig with some tasty plum as a delight, then the following are the things you must keep in mind.
- Try to feed them firm plums, not dried ones because they are least likely to contain GMOs or pesticides
- To evade the possibility of the toxin’s presence on the surface make sure to wash it properly
- Feed-in small amounts
- But you must avoid serving them regularly.
Health benefits of Plum for guinea pigs
health benefits that plums can provide to guinea pigs:
- High Amount of Vitamin C: Guinea Pigs don’t produce vitamin C, so they need to get that vitamin from their food. Also, vitamin C helps boost the immune system and helps absorb iron.
- Low in Calories: It’s a delicious fruit but low in calories! It makes your guinea pig happy and healthy!
- Potassium: Helps to maintain good bone strength, giving your guinea pig a good, healthy, and longer life.
- Antioxidant Properties: Contains vitamin C and phytonutrients.
- Maintains a Healthy Nervous System: Vitamin B6 helps transmit nerve signals.
How much serving of plum can guinea pigs eat?
Plums are more like a treat for our guinea pigs. You can give one plum to your guinea pig twice or thrice a week.
Risk Of Overfeeding Plums to guinea pigs
- Diarrhea: It is very painful, and uncomfortable and can lead to major problems for the guinea pigs.
- Stomach Aches: The guinea pig’s digestive system did not evolve to digest fruit well. So when given too much, their system is not strong enough to digest it in a normal and safe way.
- Calcium Oxalate Stones Formation: It is hazardous in this case. As bladder stones are formed, they can lead to your guinea pig’s being in pain all the time, and, in the most severe cases, it can lead to your little friend’s death.
Can guinea pigs eat prunes?
Prunes (plum varieties that can be dried without resulting in fermentation are called prunes).
Guinea pigs cannot eat prunes. It is also high in sugar which is harmful to guinea pigs. If consumed by your pet, it can result in diarrhea and other digestive problems.
Can guinea pigs eat black plums?
Yes, they can. Black plums contain antioxidants and might be useful as preventive agents in the pathogenesis of diseases and have similar benefits as regular plums.