Yes, But Tomatoes are Not 100% healthy food for rabbits.
Rabbits can only have a small amount of tomato fruit part only as an occasional treat.
You need to make sure that your rabbit never gets a large amount of tomato, or it could get very sick, but just adding a little to its food dish as a treat should not cause any issues.
Are Tomatoes Good Or Dangerous to Rabbits?
Tomatoes are nutritious, delicious, and refreshing food for your pet rabbit.
Sadly, there is some dangerous side in tomato and tomato plant. The tomato plant is very toxic for rabbits, so we must give them only tomato fruits.
Dangerous parts in Tomato
- Tomato seed
What Is Good About Tomatoes?
- Tomatoes have vitamin A, which helps with all sorts of things, including eyesight, bone development, and the rabbit’s immune system.
- They also contain vitamin C, which helps the body repair and grow. However, rabbits do also produce vitamin C naturally, so they don’t need this as much as people do.
- They will also get potassium, which helps to prevent a disease called Hypokalemia,
- They will get fiber, which will help them digest other kinds of food.
Can Baby Rabbit Have Tomato?
Don’t ever try to feed tomatoes to baby rabbits. Diarrhea can be a serious health issue for baby rabbits.
How to Feed Tomatoes to Rabbits?
- Tomato leaves, stalks, and unripe tomatoes are toxic for rabbits.
- Wash it carefully as we do all the vegetables before we eat. This will remove all the toxins on the surface of the tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes into slices and carefully remove the tomato seeds. Tomatoes seeds are also not good for rabbits.
- Now it is safe to give a tomato slice to your pet. But keep it in your mind not to give tomatoes daily to your pet.
How Much Tomato Is Okay?
Keep in mind that your rabbit has an incredibly small stomach. A rabbit’s diet should contain no more than 5% treats, so moderation is key.
Just the flesh of one cherry tomato is enough to fulfill their need for treats. If you have plum tomatoes on hand, a quarter of one would be most appropriate. A slice of a sandwich-sized tomato is a perfect-sized portion.
Rabbits are more sensitive animals. This could be more harmful to Rabbits. Be careful with tomatine exposure & do not take any risks.
Please do not feed leaves and stems to rabbits. Keep the rabbits away from the tomato garden if you have one.