YES, Rabbits can eat pears but we must make sure only to give pears occasionally in a limited amount.
Rabbits are big fans of sweet treats like pears. Make sure to feed only a limited amount as an occasional treat, with proper guidance.
Most rabbits like pears as much as they like blackberries. If you feed pears for the first time to rabbits, give them small portions and check whether they like them.
Your rabbit can eat only one or two tablespoons per two pounds of its weight. You can serve them 2 times per week.
It’s more than enough for rabbits to get all the benefits from Pears.
Benefits From Pears To Rabbits
- Vitamin C helps muscle development in rabbits and it helps to maintain a healthy blood system. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant that helps the bones, skin, and connective tissues.
- Pears are rich in antioxidants like sorbitol and fructose. They provide immunity against bacteria and help to get rid of free radicals.
- Pears are a fine source of vitamin K. It will help to maintain healthy bones. It increases the efficiency of the immune systems in rabbits.
- Pears are rich in potassium and magnesium. According to research, these nutrients can reduce the risk of death from heart disease.
Risk Of Overfeeding Pears For Rabbits
- Pears have high sugar content; which can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria in the digestive system. This causes an upset stomach, loose stools, stomach pain & diarrhea.
- Too much sugar in a diet can also lead to obesity issues. This may lead to many varieties of health problems in rabbits.
- Due to the high sugar amounts, Pears can lead to dental problems in rabbits.
- Take precautions to remove seeds and stems of pears before feeding them to rabbits. Those contain cyanide.
Rabbits can eat Pear skin safely. We don’t need to peel out the skin. Pear skin contains a high amount of vitamin C.
Rabbits can eat Pears in small amounts in moderation. Overfeeding these pears can lead to many health problems.
Take precautions to remove seeds and stems of pears before feeding to rabbits as those contain cyanide.